JournalArticle SearchList By TopicSubmit ArticleRegister
ResourcesWhite PapersGlossaryStock TrackerPresentations
3 Feb 2011 | Worldwide
Printed electronics enters fast growth phase
Printed electronics is associated with some orders, investments and acquisitions that are one hundred times as big as the largest two years ago.
Now we can laminate solar power onto a large dirigible, for example, and Northrop Grumman in the USA has just landed an order for $517 million to make one for surveillance from the upper atmosphere that is based on flexible photovoltaics. Delivery will be in 2012. Boeing in the USA has won $89 million in funding from the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency DARPA for the second phase of the Vulture long-endurance unmanned aerial system UAS program made possible by flexible photovoltaics.
After more than ten years Plastic Logic has yet to launch a product but it has just gained commitment of what it describes as nearly "one billion dollars in total". Plastic Logic started as an IP company in printed transistors then changed strategy to try to launch a thin, flexible printed e-reader. However, technical problems and the sweeping success of the Amazon KindleTM and Apple I-PadTM put that on hold. However, the enabling technology of Plastic Logic remains very exciting for a host of potential uses.
The Russian Corporation of Nanotechnologies (RUSNANO) and Plastic Logic have just finalized details of RUSNANO's investment in the company. The new investment, which will total $700 million in funds, includes building the world's largest volume production factory for Plastic Logic's next-generation plastic displays in Zelenograd, and aims to establish a commercial plastic electronics industry in Russia.
Plastic Logic has received an initial investment package of $300 million. Under the final agreement, RUSNANO is providing an initial investment of $150 million into the equity of Plastic Logic. Plastic Logic's lead investor, Oak Investment Partners, a multi-stage venture capital firm, is investing an additional $50 million as part of the project investment plan. In addition to the equity investments, RUSNANO will provide partial guarantees for debt financing in the amount of $100 million.
When it comes to acquisitions, Heraeus of Germany has recently bought the large company H.C.Starck of Germany, which makes the archetypal conductive polymer ink PEDOT:PSS. Two years ago, there were few orders, investments or acquisitions beyond a few million dollars in size in activities related to printed electronics. Little wonder that the only global series of events on printed electronics, the IDTechEx "Printed Electronics & Photovoltaics Europe 2011 events, have been growing very rapidly, totally unaffected by the recession.
The annual IDTechEx Printed Electronics Europe 2011 event will be held in Düsseldorf, Germany, on 5 - 6 April. It is Europe's largest event on the topic and will move the topic forward by covering perspectives from many new end users, and the latest progress with the technology.
Registration is now open - for more details please visit: www.IDTechEx.com/peEUROPE . The event features presentations from global companies such as Mars, JCDecaux, Nokia, Samsung, Panasonic, Applied Materials, Henkel and many more.
A few more reasons why this is Europe's must-attend event on Printed Electronics
- NEW! End-User Printed Electronics Forum: Hear a diverse range of case studies, see many products demonstrated, question a panel of end-users on their needs and experiences
- NEW! Demonstration Street: The World's largest collection of printed electronics products in one place. See what has been done and what is possible
- NEW! Free working samples of printed electronics for conference attendees
- NEW! Build new partnerships with like-minded companies at the new Investment & Partnership Summit
- NEW! Hands on tours to local leading organizations. This is your chance to see printed electronics manufacture in action
Opportunities for premium pricing, safer and lower cost products: case studies, technologies, players and forecastsElastically/Inelastically stretchable electronics and electrics, e-textiles, e-fibers
- Printed Electronics for Healthcare, Cosmetics and Pharmaceuticals 2014-2024
- Stretchable Electronics and Electrics 2015-2025: Technologies, Markets, Forecasts
- Internet of Things (IoT): Business Opportunities 2015-2025
- Smart Packaging Comes To Market: Brand Enhancement with Electronics 2014-2024
- Wearable Technology 2014-2024: Technologies, Markets, Forecasts
- Printed, Organic & Flexible Electronics Forecasts, Players & Opportunities 2014-2024
- Electric Vehicle Forecasts, Trends and Opportunities 2015-2025
- OLED Lighting Opportunities 2015-2025: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
- Electric Aircraft 2014-2024: Trends, Projects, Forecasts
- Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN) 2014-2024: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
- Wireless Power Transmission for Consumer Electronics and Electric Vehicles 2014-2024
- RFID Forecasts, Players and Opportunities 2014-2024
- Printed and Flexible Sensors 2014-2024: Technologies, Players, Forecasts
- Touch Screen Modules: Technologies, Markets, Forecasts 2012-2022
- Hybrid and Electric Vehicles for Military, Police & Security 2012-2022
- Printed and Chipless RFID Forecasts, Technologies & Players 2011-2021
- Introduction to Printed, Organic and Flexible Electronics
Printed Electronics for Healthcare, Cosmetics and Pharmaceuticals 2014-2024
Stretchable Electronics and Electrics 2015-2025: Technologies, Markets, Forecasts
Internet of Things (IoT): Business Opportunities 2015-2025
Smart Packaging Comes To Market: Brand Enhancement with Electronics 2014-2024
Wearable Technology 2014-2024: Technologies, Markets, Forecasts
Printed, Organic & Flexible Electronics Forecasts, Players & Opportunities 2014-2024
Electric Vehicle Forecasts, Trends and Opportunities 2015-2025
OLED Lighting Opportunities 2015-2025: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
Electric Aircraft 2014-2024: Trends, Projects, Forecasts
Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN) 2014-2024: Forecasts, Technologies, Players
Wireless Power Transmission for Consumer Electronics and Electric Vehicles 2014-2024
RFID Forecasts, Players and Opportunities 2014-2024
Printed and Flexible Sensors 2014-2024: Technologies, Players, Forecasts
Touch Screen Modules: Technologies, Markets, Forecasts 2012-2022
Hybrid and Electric Vehicles for Military, Police & Security 2012-2022
Printed and Chipless RFID Forecasts, Technologies & Players 2011-2021
Introduction to Printed, Organic and Flexible Electronics
Revolutionary solar-friendly form of silicon shines
Energy storage devices and computer screens are not worlds apart
Eight19 secures £1m funding
National network of solar EV charging stations in Jordan
Robotic ocean gliders aid study of melting polar ice
From video camera to driverless shuttle vehicle