JournalArticle SearchList By TopicSubmit ArticleRegister
ResourcesWhite PapersGlossaryStock TrackerPresentations
3 Feb 2011 | Worldwide
Printed electronics enters fast growth phase
Printed electronics is associated with some orders, investments and acquisitions that are one hundred times as big as the largest two years ago.
Now we can laminate solar power onto a large dirigible, for example, and Northrop Grumman in the USA has just landed an order for $517 million to make one for surveillance from the upper atmosphere that is based on flexible photovoltaics. Delivery will be in 2012. Boeing in the USA has won $89 million in funding from the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency DARPA for the second phase of the Vulture long-endurance unmanned aerial system UAS program made possible by flexible photovoltaics.
After more than ten years
The Russian Corporation of Nanotechnologies (RUSNANO) and Plastic Logic have just finalized details of RUSNANO's investment in the company. The new investment, which will total $700 million in funds, includes building the world's largest volume production factory for Plastic Logic's next-generation plastic displays in Zelenograd, and aims to establish a commercial plastic electronics industry in Russia.
Plastic Logic has received an initial investment package of $300 million. Under the final agreement, RUSNANO is providing an initial investment of $150 million into the equity of Plastic Logic. Plastic Logic's lead investor, Oak Investment Partners, a multi-stage venture capital firm, is investing an additional $50 million as part of the project investment plan. In addition to the equity investments, RUSNANO will provide partial guarantees for debt financing in the amount of $100 million.
When it comes to acquisitions, Heraeus of Germany has recently bought the large company H.C.Starck of Germany, which makes the archetypal conductive polymer ink PEDOT:PSS. Two years ago, there were few orders, investments or acquisitions beyond a few million dollars in size in activities related to printed electronics. Little wonder that the only global series of events on printed electronics, the IDTechEx "Printed Electronics & Photovoltaics Europe 2011 events, have been growing very rapidly, totally unaffected by the recession.
The annual IDTechEx Printed Electronics Europe 2011 event will be held in Düsseldorf, Germany, on 5 - 6 April. It is Europe's largest event on the topic and will move the topic forward by covering perspectives from many new end users, and the latest progress with the technology.
Registration is now open - for more details please visit: www.IDTechEx.com/peEUROPE . The event features presentations from global companies such as Mars, JCDecaux, Nokia, Samsung, Panasonic, Applied Materials, Henkel and many more.
A few more reasons why this is Europe's must-attend event on Printed Electronics
- NEW! End-User Printed Electronics Forum: Hear a diverse range of case studies, see many products demonstrated, question a panel of end-users on their needs and experiences
- NEW! Free working samples of printed electronics for conference attendees
- NEW! Build new partnerships with like-minded companies at the new Investment & Partnership Summit
- NEW! Hands on tours to local leading organizations. This is your chance to see printed electronics manufacture in action
Inmold, foldable, stretchable and skin-like electronics
- Stretchable Electronics Comes to Market
- RFID Forecasts, Players and Opportunities 2014-2024
- Printed Electronics for Healthcare, Cosmetics and Pharmaceuticals 2014-2024
- Printed, Organic & Flexible Electronics: Forecasts, Players & Opportunities 2013-2023
- Wireless Power Transmission for Consumer Electronics and Electric Vehicles 2014-2024
- Smart Packaging Comes To Market: Brand Enhancement with Electronics 2014-2024
- Touch Screen Modules: Technologies, Markets, Forecasts 2012-2022
- E-Paper / Bistable Displays 2012-2022: Markets, Forecasts, Technologies
- Printed and Chipless RFID Forecasts, Technologies & Players 2011-2021
- Introduction to Printed, Organic and Flexible Electronics
Stretchable Electronics Comes to Market
RFID Forecasts, Players and Opportunities 2014-2024
Printed Electronics for Healthcare, Cosmetics and Pharmaceuticals 2014-2024
Printed, Organic & Flexible Electronics: Forecasts, Players & Opportunities 2013-2023
Wireless Power Transmission for Consumer Electronics and Electric Vehicles 2014-2024
Smart Packaging Comes To Market: Brand Enhancement with Electronics 2014-2024
Touch Screen Modules: Technologies, Markets, Forecasts 2012-2022
E-Paper / Bistable Displays 2012-2022: Markets, Forecasts, Technologies
Printed and Chipless RFID Forecasts, Technologies & Players 2011-2021
Introduction to Printed, Organic and Flexible Electronics
Diode made from a 2D material facilitates novel solar cells
Increased power efficiency using multiferroics
The nanoFLOWCELL as the fuel of the future
The nanoFLOWCELL as the fuel of the future
Market intelligence services for the electric vehicles industry
Smart grid for electric vehicle fleet