The transatlantic project team from the Cal Poly State University, USA and the Munich University of Applied Science in Germany have developed and produced hand-out demonstrators for the IDTechEx Printed Electronics Conferences in Santa Clara and Berlin. They will be distributed to attendees at Printed Electronics Europe in Berlin on April 28-29 www.PrintedElectronicsEurope.com .
Due to the high volume and the production possibilities, the demonstrator shall fulfill the following demands:
- New, unique demonstrator based on printed electronics as key feature
- Easy to produce on standard printing machines of both universities
- Stand-alone demonstrator from each university, which also when combined offer an additional feature
- Low material costs
- High reliability
- Easy to handle
- Disposable in domestic waste
Electrochromic and thermochromics displays were used to comply with these demands, especially when they are driven by external power sources, as a battery or a USB micro cable.
Cal Poly developed the design "The Hague" using thermochromic inks. An old man rides a balloon and looks through his telescope at night. By applying a battery to the card, heating elements increase the temperature at selected spots, the thermochromic inks becomes transparent and stars appear in the sky. The same design is on the Munich University brochure. However, by connecting a USB micro plug to the transparent front page, electrochromic displays are activated and the balloon as well as the telescope change to a blue color.
By placing the Cal Poly card into the Munich Brochure, the stars appear and the moon shows up.
Attendees will receive their samples on a first come first serve basis next week a Europe's premier show on the topic - Printed Electronics Europe 2015, hosted by IDTechEx, held on April 28-29. See www.PrintedElectronicsEurope.com for details.
Both universities thank their sponsors for their great support of the project:
- DuPont Teijin Films - PET substrate materials
- Heraeus - PEDOT
- Kissel + Wolf GmbH - Screen printing materials
- Pröll Services GmbH - Screen printing inks
- Schreiner Group - Polymer materials
- Weber - Screen printing materials
- Wink Stanzwerkzeuge - Die cutting tool
- LCR Hallcrest - Thermochromic Ink
- Esko - CDI Film Imager
- SunChemical - Thermochromic Ink
- Dupont - Silver Ink
- Saati Printing Division - Screens
- ArjoWiggins - Paper Substrate