BRISTOL, U.K., April 1, 2008 - New developments in inks and imaging for the printed electronics industry will be presented by DuPont new market development lead Dr. Kerry Adams as part of DuPont Microcircuit Materials' (MCM) participation at IDTechEx Printed Electronics Europe, Europe's largest event on printed, thin film and organic electronics, held at the Maritim Hotel and Congress Centre in Dresden, Germany on April 8 - 9, 2008. DuPont MCM is exhibiting its broad portfolio of customizable, functional inks at the show in stand number 25, where it will also introduce a new printed electronics brochure, titled "New Dimensions in Printed Electronics".
"We're pleased to address the topic of new materials that will benefit this industry as it grows," said Adams. "For over 40 years, MCM has successfully developed inks suitable for use in a wide array of applications, with an even wider range of processes and substrates. Because DuPont has expertise in material science, precision patterning and substrates, we're uniquely positioned to help customers create solutions to meet their needs in printed electronics."
Dr. Adams' presentation on Wednesday, April 9 will provide an in-depth view of materials commercially used in the printed electronics industry as well as those currently in development by DuPont for a variety of markets. Key areas include:
- Thin film Photovoltaics (PV) - low temperature curing inks suitable for front-side grid and bus-bar conductors for thin film technologies such as CI(G)S, Cd Te, DSSC, organic and amorphous silicon;
- Electroluminescent (EL) Displays - a full system of compatible inks for printing EL lamps for signage, backlights, automotive lighting and decorative lighting;
- Biosensors - gold, silver, carbon and custom ink formulations for working and reference electrodes;
- RFID - Printed antennae using DuPont MCM silver inks, with widespread usage in ticketing, ski passes, automotive antennae, e-passports and luggage labels;
- Membrane Touch Switches (MTS) and Interconnects - full range of silver, carbon and UV dielectric inks;
- Smart Packaging - next generation flexographic inks;
- Printed Batteries - carbon, silver and other custom compositions for printed batteries.
DuPont MCM's range of functional low-temperature curing inks for printed electronics applications employ various advanced resin chemistries enabling a variety of adhesion, flex and thermal properties and compatibility with a broad range of substrates, including paper, polyethylene naphthalate (PEN), polyethylene terephthalate (PET), polycarbonate (PC), FR4 and transparent conductive oxides. The active phase of each ink is designed with each specific end application in mind, to ensure the correct conductive, resistive or dielectric properties. DuPont MCM's wide range of ink vehicle systems is suitable for screen print, flexo, gravure, photo-imaging, pad printing and other processing techniques. New ink-jet formulations are also under development.
Materials for printed electronics from DuPont Imaging Technologies and DuPont-Teijin Films will also be discussed, with an emphasis on advanced films that are optimised for dimensional stability, cleanliness and surface smoothness.
DuPont Microcircuit Materials has over 40 years of experience in the development, manufacture, sale, and support of specialised thick film compositions for a wide variety of electronic applications in the display, photovoltaic, automotive, biomedical, industrial, military, and telecommunications markets. For more information on DuPont Microcircuit Materials, visit www.mcm.dupont.com . Microcircuit Materials is part of DuPont Electronic Technologies, a leading supplier of electronic materials, including materials for the fabrication and packaging of semiconductors, materials for hybrid, rigid and flexible circuits, and materials for advanced displays.
DuPont is a science-based products and services company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 70 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture and food; building and construction; communications; and transportation.
Top image: Dr Kerry Adams